POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Christmas tree lights? : Re: Christmas tree lights? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:17:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christmas tree lights?
From: stbenge
Date: 31 Oct 2008 15:18:20
Message: <490b59fc@news.povray.org>
Jeremy M. Praay wrote:
> I want to create Christmas tree lights for a scene that may become a
> Christmas card.  I'm thinking of using the MegaPov glow feature, but because
> they will be somewhat close-up, I'm not sure it's up to the task.  Ideally,
> the bulb would be visible, yet still emitting some light.
>
> Does anyone else have any experience with this?  If not, any help on which
> direction I might want to pursue would be appreciated (emitting media inside
> an object, etc.)  Basically, I just want a fairly realistic looking
> christmas tree, but the tree and balls I've got handled.

So, do you want a halo around the objects? Or do you want somebody to
model the bulbs for you? If it's a halo you want, I do have experience
in that department. I've got a version of my luminous bloom code which
takes HDR images as input, and (slowly) spits out the image with halos
around the bright parts. You would have to give the bulbs (or the
filaments inside them) really high ambient values, and output the first
render to HDR format. You would need to use 3.7b or MegaPOV for the
whole process. If you wish to pursue this route, let me know and I'll
post the updated luminous bloom code (I should post it anyway).

Sam